Sustainable Careers in Academia
By Jos Akkermans (VU) and Beatrice van der Heijden (Radboud University)
This session contained four parts:
- Do we talk about career too much? (15 minutes/Jos)
- What is a career?
- The academic ladder: example of a highly traditional career?
- Evolution of research on careers and career development
- Paradox of contemporary career: how we emphasized complexity yet focus solely on the individual in career studies and practice
- Sustainable Career (15 minutes/Beatrice)
- Process model of sustainable careers
- Characteristics: Dynamic, systemic, idiosyncratic
- Research shows there are significant challenges for achieving career sustainability in academia, yet there is hope! That’s the discussion we want to start today.
- Discussion: How can we enhance sustainability in academia? (20 minutes/all participants)
- Best practices, Things to change, Creative ideas
- Discussion and summary (10 minutes/Speakers and participants)